Tuesday 30 October 2012

One foot in front of the other.

The Beginning

September 2011. Lazy. Tired. Grumpy. Weight 250lbs. Ate like crap, felt like crap. Life was crap. If it didn't come easy I didn't do it. I was a poor example for the most important people in my life; my wife and kids. Something had to change. I did a lot of finger pointing before this day, how other people should be, how they should act, what they should do. One particular day it hit me. I was the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. I had to change. I needed to be the catalyst. My oldest son had decided to start running; seeing that he may need some encouragement I decided to start running too. 

I knew that my friend Mike what I should do, how I should do it, what kind of shoes I should wear, etc. etc. He directed me towards websites for running, nutrition, and training. From there I Googled everything and anything about running. I found more than enough information about what to do, how to do it, what I should do before, during, after, in between, while resting, while sleeping...I think you get the point, and if you are reading this you've probably done the same. I followed all sorts of suggestions, rules, and guidelines; many conflicting with one another. I figured out what I was going to do from the plethora of knowledge I had been dealt and applied that knowledge to a running routine signed up for a half-marathon, selected a training program from the runforlife.ca website and got on my way.

My first few months of runs were the hardest. I remember telling myself "just keep moving, don't stop to walk, you can do this". I would come home and lay on the floor huffing and puffing, completely beet red and unable to move after a short run around the block. I didn't know how far I had gone, or for how long. Then I bought my Garmin (I love my Garmin, that's another Blog in itself) I was running 3 and 4k runs at about a 9min/k pace. Day after day I felt stronger, I pushed harder and harder. I was speeding up, short distances were becoming easier to run, I was becoming more confident. My old clothes no longer fit. I had lost 40 lbs. by Christmas. My lovely wife bought running gear for Christmas, I was no longer running in old t-shirts and track pants. I was official looking now.

Let the games begin

I had a run with Mike in December of 2011; he suggested that if I wanted to sign up for a race he would pace me. I decided to sign up for the Mississauga half-marathon. It was time to get serious. In the New Year I began a 16 week beginner half-marathon program. The program had me doing 3 runs per week: one each of speed and tempo runs, and a long run on the weekend. I remember printing the program out and seeing that it wanted me to warm up for 1.5k do intervals or tempo for an amount of time or distance and then a cool down for 1k. I remember poo-pooing the idea altogether for one day. That day was horrible. I felt worse than I had before I'd ever had before I began running. The next day I started the routine. 

Mike and I had a practice run a couple of weeks before the race, he told me not to wear my Garmin (I felt totally naked). We ran 18km that day, my final long run before the race. I was pumped! It was taper time...

Race Day

Fast forward to May 6, 2012. I weighed 195lbs. I had completed my training, ate right, and was ready. I had three goals: 

  1. Finish the race
  2. Finish the race in under 2 hours
  3. Finish in 1:55
Up to that time my tempo runs had been at about a 6min/k pace. Something I was oblivious to was how fast I would have to run to get my #3 goal. I thought it was impossible, really I did. That was the day I stopped believing what my mind wanted me to believe. 

PLACE: 918 TIME:1:57:43.4 CHIP: 1:55:02.7 PACE:5:28 
CATEGORY: M40-49 CAT. PLACE: 183/345 GENDER PLACE: 613/1238

I was hooked. This was the new me. Everything had changed, just by putting one foot in front of the other.


6 comments:

pyrad said...

I'm glad I've found your blog Phil!

This is a very inspiring story! You'll look back on this with pride as you become a stronger and stronger runner!!

AlanT said...

Great post. Thanks! Sounds very much like my own story (but with different dates, of course). Look forward to hearing how your journey continues.

Philip said...

Thanks! I am glad you found it too :)

Philip said...

Thanks Alan :)

Lisa said...

Going to have to rethink the walk around the block tonight and I'm
feeling guilty about the next dinner menu I'm planning.
You've achieved a lot in a remarkably short timeline.

macnic said...

Excellent recap of your journey. You have a long way to go and I'm glad I'll get to see you achieve it.